...and offered her encouraging words as well. Many people thought how strong I must have been to have not gone home to share in my family's brief and offer my support, but for some reason the thought didn't come to my mind and I was able to finish my mission well.
My Grandma Curtis also started to get ill soon after Dad's death. She would get forgetful and in the spring she needed to be attended, bathed, dressed, and cooked for. Grandma Curtis was also very proud and independent and I'm sure that with her challenges death was welcome. She seemed to be very pleased with Dad and we his children, but Keene was her pride and joy. Since neither had any ties they traveled together to Europe and other areas and returned with souvenirs and gifts for us. She passed away and my mother was furious that she [Grandma] died while she [Mom] was away. Mom was convinced that Dad would come for her and she was determined to be there and to have lived worthy to see him again.
The north of Spain was as different from the capital as Madrid had been from Utah. The people were proud to be Spanish but they had their own subculture with its own Traditions, Cuisines, and languages. The church although undeveloped in the large cities, the smaller City branches left even more to be desired. The members were sincere but off of love the missionaries and their companionship more than the gospel itself. The majority of them were simple people who were very dependent on us for direction and Leadership. Whatever I was assigned to one of the smaller branches or visiting as a soul eater we would be asked to speak in a meeting. In the well-established wards of Utah you were given weeks to prepare when asked to participate. In Spain, I was blessed learn to perform well with little or no preparation.
While in Oveido I was assigned to be a zone leader leading a threesome. We were able to carry on our regular proselyting work and have an extra body to sent to other cities and districts to do our training. That was the only time during my mission that I wasn't able to do my own cooking. In the mornings we would have cold cereal, fruit, and yogurt. For our midday, we ate with other Elders or made a sandwich in the meat stores. My new area was Alcala de Henares about 30 miles Northeast of Madrid.
Baptisms didn't come easy for us but our efforts were not without many rewards. Throughout my mission I felt that I was able to help other missionaries on many occasions with a listening ear or some useful council. I remember many times when I was able to send some missionaries difficulties and help. We were blessed to teach many families the gospel. One family I remember especially well, Juan and Antonia and their two small children. I baptized Juan and I remember how hard it was to turn him over to the branch fellowshipping. I grew to love his sweet and giving heart. When we had been turned down by so many it was hard not to thrive on those few times we and our message were accepted.
I was asked to spend the last few months of my mission with President Tucker as one of his assistants. We travel throughout the mission presenting conferences and working with zone leaders and the missionaries. President Tucker had replaced President Nixon and we were struggling to get organized. We grew to love the President and his family while he taught us many things. I enjoyed working in the office preparing conferences and planning the President's travels. But that time passed quickly and I was faced with finishing my mission... Next Page

No comments:
Post a Comment