Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Personal History (1982) - Page 10

... and overhanging cliffs that looked a lot like pianos. Hide-and-go-seek was also a favorite but as we got older our games become more civilized. The yard was used as a golf course, a baseball diamond, and a football and soccer field. The peach trees were used as goal posts, and the irrigation ditch made a wonderful boundary. We played kickball when there were enough [players] or just climbed the front trees if there weren't. We had Olympic games in the summer that included the paper plate toss, high jump into sawdust, and ping pong ball throws. The winter brought snow fights and competitions to hit cars and telephone wires with snowballs.

One of the greatest projects we ever were allowed to do was build the tree house. By that time, Noel's other cousins Dick and Scoot had moved to the neighborhood and had access to wooden creates and bases [that] their father used. I sensed them to be assets and they [quickly] become my partners although I remained the chief architect. We scouted the yard for possible locations, drew up plans for each, and presented them to my parents. The most acceptable was located in the back on the low but sturdy tree that was already dying. We took the challenge, finalized our plans, and started work. We planned for a split level single entry with a retractable staircase and becoming facade, only to the disappointed by the unavailability of lumber. We took what [wood] we could from Bountiful Lumber and saved our pennies to purchase the needed 2X4's and nails. The work progressed but the floors and walls were [a] patchy, unsightly mess. Not to be discouraged, we added a roof and it was ready for play. We formed clubs and made [the tree house] off limits to girls and parents, but accepted their praise and concern. As the years progressed we added a north wing with screens on the windows and an enclosed entrance. Later came a lookout tower, shingles, carpet, and last but not least our split-level room on the lower west side, with stairs. It become our pride and joy and was used as a clubhouse when we wanted to be together and a shelter when we needed to be alone.

We had rabbits that we tried to raise in the backyard. After the tree house, my next design and project were [rabbit] hutches. The building was fun but we all were burdened with waterings and feedings. Dad's plan was to eat them and use their droppings, ours was to keep them as pets, and the Lord had in mind to take them away. Soon after they arrived they became sick and we had to put them down.

Fifth grade was overseen by Mr. Talk. I remember [that] most the time we sang songs like "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" and "O, Them Bones". That year was also the first [year] that I was able to get some interest in books. Before we had read "The Box Car Children" and "Dr. Suiess" [in class] but I was threilled when I found the section in our library on war. I read book after book about World Ward II and its's heroes. I amazed myself and was convinced that books did have some saving grace [redeeming value] after all.

Stoker School had a janitor named Lex who made us taste all our food [at lunch time] and flew giant kites in the spring. He was from Holland and taught us his love for soccer. All of us would play [soccer] at recess, but those of us that took [the game] more seriously started [a] little league. I played for years under the direction Mr. Wigham and Dad, at least he was always there to watch. He bought me a pair of cleats from a real vendor. They were so big that they ended up being the only pair I needed as I played [those few years]. Next Page

No comments:

Post a Comment