I remember that as we became old enough to manage money that we [would] each receive $5.00 to shop for [our] Christmas list. We would shop at Skaggs [at Five Points in Bountiful] while he [Dad] would get stocking stuffers for us. Santa Clause always came to our house, but somehow we knew who to thank, even though the Campbell's soup we would leave Santa and the carrot for Rudolf would be missing. Our parents tried to be so generous every Christmas they could. I remember receiving a ten speed [bike] and slipping with it on the icy streets, a case of paint that accidently had no paints inside, an accordion with a promissory note for lessons from Mr. Eddington, and a stereo. They were always generous, but what I remember most are the traditions we formed and practiced every year. On Christmas Eve, we would visit our Grandmas and open their gifts, return home and open one from a friend. Then we would sit down and make a card bearing our name, and choose a spot in the front room to place it by. This way Santa would know where to place the things he prepared for us. The next morning we would wake everyone up at any time [we happened to wake up], but we had to have breakfast first [before opening the rest of the presents] and then one at a time we would be allowed to enter the front room filled with toys. We would later visit the Stahle's and they in turn would visit us to see what everyone had received the night before. As I grew, so did my desires to see others happy and the great joy of Christmas came [more] from buying for others and not myself.
For years, we participated in the church's Indian Placement Program. Because of the joy they [our foster sisters] brought into our home, Mom got one of those feelings that there was another spirit waiting to enter our home. Since my parents were told by the doctors that it would be unwise to have one of their own, they decided to adopt. The church's Social Services were hesitant in promising anything since many families that wished to adopt did not have as many children as we had already. On one occasion, a social worker who was familiar with my family's situation had a distinct impression that a little girl who was ready for adoption should go to our family. This was unusual since other families had fewer children and had been on the waiting list much longer. We accepted our five-pound Lamanite sister and named her Robyn. One-year later she was sealed to our family in the Salt Lake Temple. I remember mostly the funny clothing my parents were wearing and playing in the waiting room prior to the sealing.
Christmas and Thanksgiving were days when Mom's cooking was at its best. Mom never claimed to be a great cook, but I remember [that she created] many filling and creative meals. The food I enjoyed most was homemade potatoes and tomato soup. Mom would also pick a weeknight and make all the pizza we could eat. Cowboys delight was another family favorite, but I also remember those times she would dive into her years supply and create casseroles and soups from the most unlikely beans and grains. She was always up for breakfast and fixed creamed tuna on toast, animal-shaped pancakes, or peanut butter french toast. I never remember going without except on those days when dinner was made with peppers, onions, or tomatoes. We needed our catsup at every meal. I wasn't as eccentric as my brothers, but we had catsup on eggs, potato chips, carrots, and in our soups. Our Uncle Keene would say we were poisoning our taste buds and insulting our cooks. I also grew to appreciate fresh fruits and vegetables. Our yard was full of cherries, apricots, peaches, apples, and pears which were all there to be had [on the trees in our yard]. Grapes grew on the north side and mint on the south, but there was nothing I could find that could take the place of the Stales's plums. Their tree was located on the northwest corner of their lot, and I would climb over the fence and wander innocently over to that tree, admire the fruit, and return with ... Next Page

No comments:
Post a Comment