Sunday, January 11, 2015

Winder Indoor Games

John, Joal and I would use the front room of our home as an indoor playground during the winter months. We invited Cari to join us but it was hard for her to put down her books for games like these and company like us. Robyn might have been around for these games in our later years but she would have been too little to play safely.


We called the popular long white socks of the day “tube socks”. The only difference between these and the originals is that tube socks were of poorer quality and had colored bands around the top (usually three parallel stripes).

The first game we called “football”. I believe that is a fitting name as we would take the socks off our feet and roll them into a football shape. We would start by rolling the toe portion of the sock then fold one side of the calf opening back over the ball in order to hold its shape. I used to fold my socks this way until I got married and was taught there are better ways to pair socks. I have a separate posting describing how we played this game.


If this wasn't enough fun, when we got tired of playing indoor football we would play war. War would also break-out when football game did not go well, or when the outcome of the game was disputed.

For war, you needed at least a pair of socks with one being a tube sock. We would simply stuff socks into the toe of one tube sock making a kind of “ball and chain” weapon, like those used in the middle ages. Perhaps you have seen the latest Hobbit movie and know exactly what I am talking about.

Here as well the advantage of this indoor toy is that it is relatively soft and can cause little damage. Joal probably took the hardest hits, but he survived just fine. There were no rules for war that I remember. We just starting whacking each other until someone gave up or left the room. If our tube socks were not long enough already, this game ensured that they would reach the top of our calves or higher.

1 comment: