April 26, 1978what I thought it was. But this morning, Elder Sleight felt inspired to read a few scriptures and tell his thoughts about showing love; not criticizing, being sensitive, BEING ONE.
He said things very simply and he didn't take long, but what he said really hurt me. He said that we should never say anything that cuts down anybody else, rather, we should be trying to build them up. I've always teased people in ways that I thought they understood that they would see as kidding, but I began to see and understand why maybe Elder Lachaga has been a little upset with me. And it really hurt.
Elder Sleight went on to say that anyone that approaches someone that way [as I was doing] it is because the person feels a little better or higher than those he is teasing. I've been worried about and working on that specifically (because people do things differently). Never say anything that doesn't uplift; love people for who they are (everyone has something you could look up to as an example).
And finally, he said, unless you are one as a district you are going to fail, even if you are all good missionaries. Now that I've had time to think things over, I decided I need humility; and from what I understand it's not a gift from God, but when you have humility you can receive all the gifts that I feel I need now to be a good servant of the Lord.
Matt. 23:12 (5-12) humble be exalted; D&C 1:28, humble made strong; D&C 12:8, no one can assist in missionary work with humility, and those blessing that come to the humble; D&C 67:10, if ye are sufficiently humble the veil rent into and ye shall see me...; and, D&C 136:32-33, the ignorant learn by humbling themselves before the Lord.
Now, I am not sure how to do it, but I 'm trying to be a humble, sensitive, and an effective missionary. I remember Elder Sleight reading a scripture that states that the humble would have confidence in the Lord. That I need. Also, can receive visitations of the Holy Ghost, hope, and perfect love (Moroni 8:26). I came to understand today that the gift of healing [promised in my patriarchal blessing] that I can obtain if I'm faithful, comes because of or with faith. I was really surprised because I've always felt that's something I've need much of; but ... Next Page
No comments:
Post a Comment