Sunday, February 26, 2017

Personal History (1982) - Page 24

...arrangements. Susan was excited for me but cried to hear when I would be leaving. My parents had grown to love Susan and were sympathetic enough to allow Susan to help with shopping when that is something parents often do. We bought one suit from Mr. Macs, ZCMI, and JCPenny; a camera, garments, longjohns, and all that I was asked to bring. My last Christmas and birthday were full of missionary suitcases and sewing kits. I was to enter into LTM (Language Training Mission) on March 30, 1978. Susan was preparing to see me leave but I would be leaving everyone and little did I know that some of them I would never see again.

We got together as a family to do some things before I left and Cari got married (she had already met Mike Orton and things were looking pretty good for them). We had special family nights and our pictures were taken in a family setting. It was hard for me but even more difficult was leaving Susan and that part of my life we had shared. For the last weekend, we planned a trip to Tooele, Ophir, Mercer, and Fort Douglas. Susan prepared a lunch and we took the family Opal car to see her Grandma and Grandpa Clark in Tooele, and the two most famous ghost towns of Utah.

Our conversation had become more solemn than before even though we didn't talk much about me leaving, but we did decide that she was to date others and I was to serve without letting her become a burden. On the drive home, Susan asked: "if you weren't a Mormon and you weren't going on a mission, would you marry me?" I replied that "I am a Mormon and I am going on a mission so, no." Our last Sunday was spent at Temple Square taking pictures; the night before I left I dropped her off at work and we cried to say goodbye and cried again over the phone until late that night. Nevertheless, I was up early; I had packed two weeks ago and was ready when the family all rode with me to Provo to see me off. I kissed everyone goodbye, including Grandma Curtis, and they took us away to our rooms and the day of orientation.

My mission was filled with many wonderful experiences, so many it is difficult for me to write without including them all. At this point, I wanted to inform the reader that a journal was kept during my mission experience and others throughout the remainder of my days. I encourage you to use them if a more detailed account of my life is desired.

The LTM was filled with many challenges and surprisingly rewarding experiences. The majority of our days were spent trying to memorize the discussions, which is nothing more than a collection of sounds [to someone that cannot speak the language being taught]. To make those efforts even more difficult, before you can feel like a concept is memorized we must rehearse it word for word to an instructor. Because of what must be done to finish a missionary's preparation, the LTM or MTC becomes very demanding. Susan would send me a letter once a week and many packages full of love and candies but the best thing she could do was write to say that she was happy and going to make it. I succeeded to memorize all my discussions and speaking Spanish throughout every working day. I also served as an acting District Leader for the District of Jaen.

Those eight weeks went quickly and we were packing again for a big step to Spain. My family and Susan were there to see me off. Everyone looked beautiful and proud of their first missionary; Mom and Susan were teary-eyed and worried but I could see is Dad's eyes that he was very proud and wanting to help. My family said goodbye again and obeyed the rules by staying in the lobby. Susan was also Brave and sent me away with a loving hug and a stolen kiss.

When we arrived in Spain, I was surprised in spite of our instruction with the Civil Guard who roamed the streets carrying submachine guns... Next Page

No comments:

Post a Comment