Sunday, July 23, 2017

Missionary Journal (1978-1980) - Page 22

May 8, 1978

... in the next interview. I feel that maybe the Lord was working through me for the sake of the others.

My Spanish is coming much better, and as I talk with them, I'm amazed at how quickly I can put things together and how well things come out. The Lord blesses those that lose their lives for others. Many times I forget all about me, not for long, but I [am beginning] to understand what He meant. The family night was the same. I had nothing to start with, but things came and it went well. I'm impressed with those guys and I try to be a good example, with the Lord's help, and understand why these things happen and not to boast in myself. It's difficult because they look up to you and lean on you so much. I really love them! I just spent 3 hours in interviewing a people!

I didn't feel I got everything written down, that I wanted to write. I re-read what I wrote, and it doesn't really say what happened. As I think back on yesterday, I had no time for anything, [yet it] seemed so natural and normal. But, as I think of some of the things that I said, and the way I said them, I know it wasn't me alone. [For example,] I remember saying to Hermana Vroman that she needed to understand about the guys here, how she could really help them by sticking to the work and when they came to her [that] she should try to get them back to work. I wouldn't say that! To Elder Yates, I explained how he needed to overcome [his] shy personality and speak the language because that was the only way he could learn it and keep it. I can't remember most of them [the counsel I shared}, but there were many ideas and ways to express or illustrate my points that just came to my head. I have to wonder if that, in part, fills [the] promise in my patriarchal blessing where it says "that in times of leadership and when giving counsel I shouldn't be left alone, but the Holy Ghost would give me what to say and those missionaries would benefit, if they would but follow." Please read it! Also, Elder Owen and others left today, in the morning, and it was almost like leaving home all over again. They were great influences. Next Page

No comments:

Post a Comment