Sunday, July 23, 2017

Missionary Journal (1978-1980) - Page 20

May 5, 1978

... everyone seemed to be so old, and all the elders were surprised at how old I was. It did a lot for my confidence (still tried to be humble). It's interesting because I want to seem old and mature, confident and everything, just a good example so they can have something to look up to. But, then I find myself getting proud and so forth. I have a hard time concentrating on the work because I'm thinking about them, trying to be a good example, and get good ideas in connection with my responsibilities. Sometimes I start skipping over words I can't remember so I can review and be very impressive, and other times I worry about the time they waste and forget about me (it's very difficult).

Well, about the orientation. I didn't have much time to prepare. We did have a meeting for all ADLs, but they only talked about things to do with administration, and I wanted to start everyone out on a good spiritual theme, but I had no time. I remember that the orientation went very well. They were impressed, I was impressed, but when that was all over, I remembered that I wanted to share something [spiritual] with them and I had nothing to say.

Well, thank goodness one of them asked a question and I had some time to organize my thoughts (enough to start with something) then with the Lord's help I was able to say exactly what I wanted. I left the room very happy but I felt that most of the reason it was a success [was] because the Lord wanted to do it right for those new missionaries, not because of anything I could do. Then as I went to retention, I couldn't get them off my mind. All of a sudden, I got an idea for a spiritual thought the next day (it wasn't my idea). It was to do this, blindfold one of each of the companionships and have a scripture chase. The one that could see would tell the other where to go to find the scripture. And, they enjoyed it! But the reasons were 1) to share with them some of my favorite scriptures that I felt they needed as new missionaries (I don't know how I received one of the scriptures), and 2) to help illustrate the need of a close and communicating companionship. It all worked together so well, and so fast that I knew I received help. Next Page

No comments:

Post a Comment